Sunday, May 9, 2010

Theres No Place Like Home

Well the clicking of my heels 3 times ended up not working great.
 Let me explain:  Saturday morning our driver was coming to the apartment to pick us up at 4:00 a.m.  We had a 6:45 a.m. flight on Swiss Air.  We got up, got ready woke Ava up and we rode to the airport.  Ava did great, no sounds from her at all.  We waited the 2 hours before our flight took off at a cafe in the airport.  By the way, the DME airport in Russia is REALLY nice.  I have heard some horror stories about the airport, but we found it to be pleasant, new, bright, airy and easy navigating.  We had a 3 hour flight, and Ava slept 2 1/2 hours of that flight.  It was great having the extra seat.  I strongly recommend it to other new parents, as our kiddos probably haven't been held very much to sleep.  I felt that she slept better when she was down on her own.  We flew to Zurich, Switzerland and we found out when we landed that our flight was being delayed 2 hours because of the Ash cloud from the Volcano.  So we waited, and waited, when our flight was about to board, they announced that nope it is being delayed longer.  We ended up in the Zurich airport for over 6 hours.  It was a very long time to wait, as the airport didn't even have a great cafe in that part.   Ava was awake this whole time, she did wonderful, she ate, played, walked around a lot.  She smiled at all the strangers that would stop and look at her and comment on how cute she was.  Right before we were supposed to board for the second time, she fell asleep, 10 minutes longer and we would have been good, but since she took that 10 minute power nap, guess what, she was wired on the plane ride.  Now I say wired, but really she was just very curious about everything, how the tray table worked, how the ear phone plug worked, the pages in the magazine didn't stand a chance against her grip of shredding it.  She was this way for about 2 1/2 hours.  After a while I could tell that she was really tired, and she was just fighting it.  I laid her down on her seat, and she laid there really well, but she would whimper really loud a lot, and it looked like she wasn't going to go to sleep. She did that for about 1 hour.  So I picked her up, took her to where the flight attendants were and just held her tightly and rocked her.  She did not like that at all.  She screamed, and when I say screamed, she screamed a blood curdling scream for about 10 minutes, and then, boom she was out like a light.  I held her and rocked her for about 5-10 more minutes, I laid her down  in her seat, and wa la, for the next 6 hours she slept!  She was an angel.  All the passengers around us were commenting on how wonderful she was.  When it was time for the landing, I had to pick her up and she sat on my lap the whole time, no sounds or anything.  THANK YOU GOD!

Sleeping like an Angel!
 

We went thru customs and it was a breeze.  We came out of customs and Tom and the boys were there waiting for us. 


When we arrived home, there was a sign on the garage door, made by Sara, Kelly Ashley Johnson (one of my AWANA girls) and my Andrew.  That was really nice guys, Thank you so much.


First glimpse of the beautiful sign and Home

Andrew with Ava

Trevor with Ava

Our first night together as a family was wonderful, the boys are thrilled that she is here.  They ask me so many questions about her, I think it is awesome they want to know everything about her.  Trevor and Andrew even helped me change a stinky diaper.


The dogs even missed me

Ava is a little unsure of the dogs right now.  She likes to watch them, she holds out her hands to touch them, but when they get closer to her, she pulls her hand away.  I think it will only be a matter of time before they are the best of friends.

Cooper hoping Ava will drop some of her cherrios.

I am loving my Mothers Day, as a Mother of 5 wonderful kiddos.  God has been good to me.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Congratulations and Happy Mother's Day!! Enjoy your first few days home. It seems like just yesterday, we were celebrating coming home, now we are almost a year home! It took Hope about 5 days to get used to our dogs, now she likes to lay on top of them.
Many Blessings to you and your family!