Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Getting Around

Tyler and I feel very comfortable getting out and around St. Petersburg.  Monday was a beautiful day here, the sun was shining, the weather was about 50's  with just a slight wind.  We ventured back onto the Metro today to go to the same stop and head over to the zoo.  We were not totally sure where it was, but knew that when we exited the Metro to go left.  Well it really wasn't that hard to find, we just kinda followed the other people who had kids and we ended up right where we needed to be.  I have to say, that Tyler does not like Zoos, he feels terrible for the animals living in a cage.  After seeing this zoo today, I have to agree with him.  It was kinda awful conditions for the animals.  They really didn't have a lot of space to "roam" or live.  So I didn't take many pictures while we were there.  Ava did great tho, she really didn't pay attention to the animals, she just like being out and about.  The girl likes her stroller and likes the fresh air.

After the zoo, we came back and I laid Ava down for a nap, and Svetlana picked me up to go to another baby store.  We were running low on items for Ava, (since she loves to eat) and the local corner stores do not carry anything for babies.  Weird huh?  On our way back Svetlana got pulled over by a cop, now when I say pulled over, I mean waved over.  The cops stand in the street and wave a lighted stick to tell you to move to the side.  When he came over, Svetlana talked to him, it sounded like pleading, and then she had to hand over her "papers".  The cop walked away to his car, Svetlana told me to wait in the car, and she took her purse and said, I guess it's time to pay.  She walked over to the cop car and sat inside for a long time.  I could see conversation going on between the two of them.  When she finally came back to the car, she said well that only cost me 1000 rubels.  If I were to go to court, it would of cost me much more.  I asked her what she did wrong, and she said the cop said her left tire went over the white line.  What??? Have you seen the way that everyone drives here?  It is crazy and I am from Chicago.  The cop just "exercised his authority" and made some money over Svetlana.  What a system huh?

We went out to dinner last night, and Ava was a little out of control.  The restaurant did not have a high chair and I did not bring her stroller.  It made for a very interesting meal.  She does not like to be held for long periods of time just yet.  Yikes, I can't imagine the plane ride home.  If this was a glimpse into the future for the plane, I may be in TROUBLE!


I forgot to post this picture, this is from the first day we had Ava,
she went down for a nap, with no problems. 
I sat in the bed reading a book and just watching her sleep. 
 It was a wonderful feeling.

Walking around the apartment
She is really good at walking now

On our way down the escalator at the Metro
We were on our way to the Zoo

Just a sampeling of the High Heel Shoes in St. Petersburg
these have fringes on them

at night before bed.  She was trying to open a box.
I didn't need to bring any toys
What was I thinking, Toys?

1 comment:

Beth said...

SHe is adorable!!

Beth